In order to provide this client with greater control of their AWS spend, TerraAlto have implemented an end-to-end budget planning and management service using the AWS Budgets service included on the AWS Billing & Cost Management Console.
This service operates as follows:
- As part of our new infrastructure design and deploy service to this long-standing client, TerraAlto prepare budget recommendations based on infrastructure design and usage forecasts for the target workloads.
- Once budgets have been approved by the client, TerraAlto then create monthly and annual budgets at application and business group level using AWS Budgets
- To ensure that the client stays abreast of any AWS over-spend risks, each budget setup by TerraAlto also includes the configuration of budget notifications to alert relevant application owners and budget owners whenever a particular application is forecasted to exceed the approved budget.
- To ensure that budgets remain up to date, our AWS infrastructure change management process incorporates the review and update of existing budgets based on the expected cost impact of the change.
- With this end-to-end service now in place, and over 100 individual application-specific budgets listed and colour-coded on the AWS Budgets dashboard, this Client’s Cloud Oversight team are now in a much stronger position to stay on top of their organizational AWS spend.